Sunday, July 11, 2010

A French Door dilemma

I have a beautiful set of French doors down at the shore house. but I also have a problem I have been eager to solve. They are wonderful doors that both open out onto the deck.

It makes it extremely nice to open the house up to the outside and let the sea breeze in...the ocean is just on the other side of the boulders with the concrete prominade on top. Just beyond all the damn tourists cars!
 I like it better when it's empty down here. I used to be able to see some of the ocean from my kitchen till the powers that be put up that prominade!!




 Anyway... there are days when.. well let's just say that the flies like to come in too!



I tried a fancy new Anderson roll screen, and have to say that just wasn't going to work with my crew.
For 2 reasons.

  1. A thousand ins and outs is not exactly what that type of screen was made to endure.
  2. Sometimes it is so breezy  that the screen would blow right out the bottom and get stuck, and not roll back in when you needed it too. Yep, you guessed it.. Extremely annoying! So that screen got nixed.
Now I have found a solution that is working for us.
This is what I did:

Hung a beautiful rod. ((Excuse the pics, it's my blackberry I forgot to bring the camera battery..daahhh.))

Found a curtain that was more like netting.


And bought some large easy sliding curtain hooks.



Now I knew I would need something to weigh down the panels or these curtains would be totally useless blowing in all over the house and letting in the busy little pests.
So I used what I had. Sea glass.




Mixed with some pale green glass pebbles

I must admit it is pretty in my green depression ware!
But I need it now for more important things.







All the sea glass and pebbles get thrown into the bottom hem

And sewn into pockets so the stay where I want them- in the middle and on the ends.












Now we are ready to test drive these babies......





They actually do their job. They blow in a little with a strong breeze, but stay weighted down.

Most of the time they can remain open, but when we are preparing food or eating, they have to be closed.









And this is the view from the exterior... stopping those pesky little flies.                               




My daughter is in there right now eating fruit salad.


Telling me I am a Blogaholic.











So that is my solution to "no screen to fit my french door without destroying it's gorgeousness" at the Cottage Beach House.


13 comments:

Sunny said...

Very inventive. I always like thinking outside the box type of things.

I Luv Linens and Pearls said...

Cool Idea!

Stacey said...

Brilliant idea!! I may have to pass that to my mom who has a similar problem. I never would have thought to weigh them down with those stones!

Betsy said...

I love this idea! We have a similar problem here and I'm very excited to read about this!

mle said...

what a great idea! functional, pretty & provides privacy - genius!

The Redhead Riter said...

I love it. You can't beat white and airy in my book. Love the curtain rod!

KimMalk said...

What an ingenious idea! I like the fabric you found and those marbles and sea glass are fun.

S.I.F. said...

It looks so pretty! And what a perfect and smart solution!!

Anonymous said...

I give you award ,please accept it,
visit my post please

Book Lover said...

Nice & breezy! good job!I'm a new follower :)

Sandra said...

Hi! A blog about decorating..I'm so in!
I've found you through Mommy Bloggers, I'm in Veronica's Follow group.
I will be back to read everything you have to say!
http://www.absolutelynarcissism.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

That was an excellent idea! I love the sea glass in the curtain of a sea shore house. How clever!

My kids tell me I am a blogaholic, too.

Lindy said...

I love this idea. What a pretty solution too. Thanks so much for sharing this post with me....I'm making a mental note!

L.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Where Moms Who Blog Go!